Richland Lutheran Church was organized in 1881 by Danish Lutheran families. It was originally located a few miles south of Thornton, IA. The congregation moved into the town of Thornton in 1929. Richland was served by pastors of the Old Norwegian Synod, although it was never a member of the Norwegian Synod, until the 1917 merger of the three prominent Norwegian Lutheran Synods. At that time, Richland did not join the merger, but was served by pastors from the newly formed Evangelical Lutheran Synod. Richland is believed to be the only ELS congregation which was founded as a primarily Danish Lutheran church. In 2008 Richland celebrated its 125th anniversary. To God be the glory!
Since May of 2013 Richland became a “dual parish” with Prince of Peace Lutheran Church (Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod) in Mason City, IA. We rejoice in the doctrinal unity Richland and Prince of Peace share and we look forward to our work together in Word and Sacrament Ministry with Prince of Peace.